Thursday, May 12, 2016

Self-Mastery and My Dog

Sheldon is tied to a propane tank on the front lawn. I want to let him go free, because I know he'd feel better being released from his leash. But I can't let him, he'd run off and get himself hurt. He'd bark at the neighbors and be a nuisance. So I keep him in the front yard or locked in the house until he learns manners.
     Sheldon wants to run, and bark, maybe even play with other dogs. I can tell he's bored sitting there, but he's also learning a valuable lesson if he'll pay attention. Sometimes he's so calm, just thinking. About what, idk. But he is learning to enjoy the calm.
     I am like the dog, and God is my master. Sometimes oh how much I want to be free from bondage. I want a good job, oh how I want to bless my friends and be an example to them. I want health and the means to help others have health. I want wisdom to guide my family. So why does God keep me, as well as so many others, tied to a leash?
     I not only protect my dog when I keep him tied up, but I am being considerate of others. So God ties me up to protect me, to teach me the smell of the flowers, and to teach me how to be around people. I should not bark at them or bite them, but I should show them the same love I show my owner. Then I would be free from my leash, as long as I keep being obedient to my master.

     So what are the lessons I must learn to be released off my leash? I must learn respect of others. I must develop self control, else my master will not trust me. And once I have been properly trained and disciplined, then will the leash come off, and I find myself free to roam within the bounds my master sets, which is much better than a leash. I still have protection, but I get to see new places and love more people. Because I am trained, I get to wander here and there and enjoy myself, and then sprint in response to my master's call.
      That's life, and rages within whatever setting we find ourselves in. Perhaps a disability can feel like a leash, yet the resurrection will cut us loose. And then, if we have learned to obey our masters call, we will come into him and be saved. And this life is a symbol of that, for just as the Nephites or the children of Israel, God prospereth his people according to their righteousness. The younger we learn the commandments, the more blessed are we, for we will run with the wind and enjoy, more fully, time spent with our master.

No comments:

Post a Comment