Friday, April 1, 2016

When You're appreciated

     Most people see it as the Mom's job to wash the dishes, do the laundry, pack the children's lunch, clean and organize the house, and so forth. People simply expect it. Therefore she become highly underappreciated.
     Its like the cornerbacks in football, who are sometimes nicknamed "the unsung heroes". When they do their job, no one really notices. But when they mess up, TOUCHDOWN! and all eyes are on you. Like a Mom, cornerbacks can often be unnoticed and underappreciated for their important function.
   
   
     ....I don't have a way to fix this.
     I do have a self-empowering thought however.

If you are expected to excel, people are less inspired by you.
The power to influence people lies in doing good things that are not expected of you.

     As a brother in the family, I have found the power to improve household attitudes. For example, no one naturally expects me to spontaneously organize the kitchen or clean the dishes. For years I complacently saw these things as chores to avoid. Since returning from my mission two months ago, I've kept the habit of keeping organized and cleaning. Storage areas in my house are now wiped and organized, that for years earlier had been neglected. I've noticed a slow but real movement of the household: everyone is organizing ad cleaning out. Of course, I never said anything.
    As I clean the dishes, eat more healthy with a happy and knowledgeable attitude, and make the initiative to family activities and family time, the people around me notice and put it into practice. They already had good hearts, they only needed to see someone live the principle.

So Dads: change the diapers
Sisters: go play football with your bros
Brothers: go shopping with your sister

     You may or may not like it at first, but you'll find the world warm up to you. People will start fulfilling their responsibilities more. They will appreciate you doing things you don't like for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment